Experiencing any kind of hate crime or discrimination can be extremely stressful and emotionally distressing. 

Part of what makes hate crime and discrimination so emotionally impactful is because it is attacking a core part of your identity, and it is also likely playing into negative social stereotypes or prejudices which have impacted you before. 

The University is here to support you and takes these incidents very seriously. Support is available for you and your wellbeing, and we will support you if you would like to make a formal report to be investigated under the Student Disciplinary Regulations. 

The first priority is your safety and wellbeing. 

Immediate help
  • Are you in immediate danger? If you are in immediate danger or seriously injured call 999 (or 112 from a mobile).
  • Find a safe space.  If an incident has just happened, try and find somewhere you feel safe. If you are at the University you can call University Security on 0117 331 1223 or go to your nearest University building and ask someone to phone Security for you.

Support at University 
  • If you’d like to speak to someone who can support your wellbeing in a confidential space, please fill in a Wellbeing Access Request. This form will be reviewed by a member of the Wellbeing Access team, and they will make sure that you are put in touch with the best service for you. This might be a Residential Life Adviser if you’re in halls, a Wellbeing Adviser, or the Student Counselling Service. If you’d like to speak to someone with a specific identity such as gender or ethnicity, please write this in your Wellbeing Access Form. 
  • You can also fill in the ‘Request Contact from an Adviser’ form, or email srs-casework@bristol.ac.uk to talk with someone from the Student Resolution Service about making a formal report. You are not under any obligation to make a report, but we know that talking this through and getting information about the process can be really helpful for students. 
  • Submitting extenuating circumstances if your studies have been or are being affected. If you’re finding yourself unable to focus well or stop thinking about what’s happened, we would encourage you to submit extenuating circumstances. 
  • For some people, it is helpful to seek community with others when a part of our identity is attacked. If you think this would be helpful to you, we would recommend having a look at the societies, groups and liberation networks in the Students Union
  • The Student Inclusion Team also run several difference schemes to support students from underrepresented groups, including the Be More Empowered for Success programme for minority ethnic students, support for mature students and care leavers/estranged students, as well as a mentoring programme for Trans and Non-Binary students.
  • Spaces on Campus: The Global Lounge is a multi-cultural hub in the heart of campus which is both a lounge space to socialise and relax, and also a dynamic events space where there are lots of exciting and fun cultural activities. The Global Lounge is in Senate House, and can be a great place to go if you need to find a safe place on campus. The Multifaith Chaplaincy is also an inclusive space on campus for all students where there is both pastoral and spiritual support, as well as daily lunchtime social events where everyone is welcome. 

Other sources of support 
  • Bristol Hate Crime and Discrimination Services. A group of six local organisations working to support victims of hate crime and discrimination, including SARI (Stand Against Racism and Inequality). 
  • Equality Advisory and Support Service. For advice and support if you think you have been treated unfairly.
  • Victim Support help anyone who has been the victim of a crime. They can support you coping with the after-effects of crime and help with reporting to the police. It doesn’t matter whether you have reported the crime to the police or when the crime occurred. 

  • You can report an incident anonymously using the University’s Report and Support system. We will not be able to take any direct action as a result of an anonymous report, there is more information about what we do with anonymous reports here.
  • You can also submit a formal report to the Student Resolution Service. You can get in touch with the Student Resolution Service either by filling in the Request Contact from an Adviser form or by emailing srs-casework@bristol.ac.uk. There is more information about making a report in this article about ‘What happens if I speak to an adviser?’
  • Reporting to the police. You can report a crime by calling the non-emergency number, 101 or online. You can also talk to Sian Harris, who is the University’s dedicated Police Officer, and a part of her role is in answering questions and giving advice to students. 


There are two ways you can tell us what happened