When you fill in a Request Contact from an Adviser form, it is submitted to the Student Resolution Service (SRS). The SRS is here to listen and discuss your options so you can make an informed choice on what you’d like to do next. We know it can be difficult and emotional to talk about negative experiences, and we will always treat everyone who talks to us with respect and compassion. 

What should I include in the form?

The form directs you to provide a summary of the unacceptable behaviour you’ve experienced. Please note, we request that if you are reporting any form of sexual violence you keep the information as brief as possible. This is because we know it can be very difficult to go over the details of what has happened, and we do not want you to experience any unnecessary discomfort or distress.

Following your conversation with the SRS if you choose to make a formal report for investigation you will be advised on what formal reporting form to complete and as part of the process you will have an opportunity to share all your information about what's happened in a supported manner.

What will talking to the Student Resolution Service be like?

A member of our team will read your form and contact you at your university email address within three working days. We will suggest a meeting time, and this can be in person, over the phone, or on Microsoft Teams.  Our in person meetings are held on the first floor of Senate House. 

When you meet with us, we can explain how making a formal report works, what our processes involve, and make sure that you are supported. We can make referrals to wellbeing services and ensure that you are able to access support. We will be ready to listen to you and help you understand your options. 

We want to make sure that at the end of the conversation, you have as much information as you need to make the right decision for you about your next steps. Unless we have concerns about your safety or the safety of someone else, what you tell us is confidential.

If you’d prefer to speak with a member of the Student Resolution Service who is male, female, or non-binary, or a staff member of colour please use the free text box on the form to let us know and we will do all we can to accommodate this.

Do I have to decide about making a formal report?

You will not be under any expectation or obligation to make a formal report at any time, this is your decision.

The time limit on making a report to the Student Resolution Service is that we can only investigate the actions of a current registered student. 

There is no limit to the number of times you can talk to us, though we may refer you to the Wellbeing Service if we feel they would be better placed to support you. 


There are two ways you can tell us what happened