The University of Bristol is committed to providing a positive experience for all students and staff. We believe that bullying, harassment, assault and discrimination are never acceptable.

What is sexual harassment?

Sexual harassment is unwanted sexual actions or behaviour by individuals or groups which violates a person’s dignity and creates an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment. Sexual harassment can be a single incident, or a string of persistent behaviour. You don't need to have objected to a certain kind of behaviour in the past for it to be unwanted and constitute harassment.

Immediate help

  • Are you in immediate danger? If you are in immediate danger or seriously injured call 999 (or 112 from a mobile).
  • Find a safe space.  If an incident has just happened, try and find somewhere you feel safe. If you are at the University you can call University Security on 0117 3311223 or go to your nearest University building and ask someone to phone Security for you.

Support for students

  • Report and Support. You can use the Report and Support system to ask to speak to a member of the University’s Student Wellbeing Service for advice and support.
  • Have an informal conversation with the Student Complaints Officer (, 0117 394 1820) or a Bristol SU Just Ask adviser.
  • University services for academic, health and wellbeing support.
  • Consider submitting extenuating circumstances if your studies have been/are being affected.

Support for staff members

Other sources of support

  • Rape Crisis for support around experiences of sexual harassment.
  • The National Stalking Helpline for information and advice. Call 0808 802 0300 for free, 9:30am – 4pm, Monday to Friday (1pm – 4pm on Wednesdays).
  • Revenge Porn Helpline for practical help with removing online content and advice about reporting revenge porn. Call 0345 600 0459, 11am – 4pm, Monday to Friday.

Reporting for students and staff members

  • Report and Support. Staff and students can report an incident anonymously using the University’s Report and Support system.
  • To the police. You can report a crime using the non-emergency number, 101.
  • Make a formal complaint using the University’s Acceptable Behaviour Policy (for students) or to your HR Operations team (for staff)

There are two ways you can report something