The University of Bristol is committed to providing a positive experience for all students and staff. We believe that bullying, harassment, assault and discrimination are never acceptable.

What is sexual assault?
Sexual assault is any sexual touching that a person does not consent to. It involves all unwanted sexual contact including kissing, groping, rape and enforced sexual acts.

Anyone can be sexually assaulted, regardless of gender or sexuality. It does not matter if you have previously consented to sexual acts with that person, or with others. Whatever the circumstances, nobody has the right to force you to have sex or touch you without your consent. If this happens to you, it’s important to remember it’s not your fault.

Immediate help and advice
  • Are you in immediate danger? If you are in immediate danger or seriously injured call 999 (or 112 from a mobile).
  • Find a safe space.  If an incident has just happened, try and find somewhere you feel safe. If you are at the University you can call University Security on 0117 331 1223 or go to your nearest University building and ask someone to phone Security for you.
  • The Bridge (Bristol’s Sexual Assault Referral Centre) offers medical care, emotional and psychological support, and practical help to anyone who has been raped or sexually assaulted. Their advisers are trained to look after the needs of a survivor of rape or sexual assault to ensure they receive the best possible care and understanding. They also offer examinations for forensic evidence if the incident was less than 8 days ago. Contact them 24/7 for free on 0117 342 6999
 Support for students
Support for staff members 

 Other sources of support

  • SARSAS supports people in Bristol, South Gloucestershire, Bath & North East Somerset, North Somerset and Somerset, who have experienced rape or any kind of sexual assault or abuse at any time in their lives. They operate confidential helplines for women and men.
  • The Survivor Pathway is an online resource for anyone wanting to know more about specialist sexual violence support services in the South West.
  • Survivors UK offers a helpline services and online advice for male survivors of sexual assault and rape.
  • Galop supports LGBT+ people affected by sexual abuse, assault or violence.
Reporting for students and staff members

  • Report and Support. Staff and students can report an incident anonymously using the University’s Report and Support system.
  • To the police. You can report a crime using the non-emergency number, 101. Rape Crisis have produced a list of things to think about if you’re considering reporting to the police. The Bridge can also provide advice and information about reporting to the police.
  • Make a formal complaint using the University’s Acceptable Behaviour Policy (for students) or to your HR Operations team (for staff)

There are two ways you can tell us what happened