The University of Bristol is committed to providing a positive experience for all students and staff. We believe that bullying, harassment, assault and discrimination are never acceptable.

What is domestic violence?
Domestic violence, also called domestic abuse, can happen to anyone, regardless of gender or sexuality. It can include emotional, psychological, physical, financial and sexual abuse in couple relationships (current or previous) or between family members. It can be an individual incident, or a pattern of incidents, but always involves one person having control and power over another.

If you're worried someone might see you have been on this page, find out how to cover your tracks online.

Immediate help
  • Are you in immediate danger? If you are in immediate danger or seriously injured call 999 (or 112 from a mobile).
  • Find a safe space. If an incident has just happened, try and find somewhere you feel safe. If you are at the University you can call University Security on 0117 331 1223 or go to your nearest University building and ask someone to phone Security for you.
Support for students
Support for staff members
Other sources of support
  • National Domestic Violence helpline. Call 0808 2000 247 for confidential advice 24/7.
  • Victim Support help anyone who has been the victim of a crime. They can support you coping with the after-effects of crime and help with reporting to the police.
  • Refuge provides practical and legal support for all forms of domestic abuse.
  • Bristol Against Violence and Abuse (BAVA) provides information about different types of violence and abuse and support services that can help. There is also information on how to help others and how to raise awareness of violence and abuse.
  • Next Link. Crisis support and temporary supported housing for women and children experiencing abuse.
  • Women’s Aid. Support for women and children in domestic abuse situations.
  • Mankind. Their confidential helpline is available for all men across the UK suffering from domestic violence or domestic abuse by their current or former wife or partner (including same-sex partner). Call 01823 334 244 10 am to 4 pm, Monday to Friday.
  • National LGBT+ Domestic Abuse helpline run by Galop provides emotional and practical support for LGBT+ people experiencing domestic abuse. Call 0800 999 5428 10 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday (open until 8 pm on Wednesdays and Thursdays). 
Reporting for students and staff members
  • Report and Support. Staff and students can report an incident anonymously using the University’s Report and Support system.
  • To the police. You can report a crime using the non-emergency number, 101 or online.
  • Make a formal complaint using the University’s Acceptable Behaviour Policy (for students) or to your HR Operations team (for staff)

There are two ways you can tell us what happened