If you are worried about someone else, there are lots of ways you can help and lots of places to look for support. The Report and Support system has specific information if you are concerned that someone you know is experiencing/has experienced:

  • Bullying and harassment
  • Discrimination
  • Domestic violence
  • Hate crime
  • Mental health difficulties
  • Physical assault
  • Sexual assault
  • Sexual harassment

 What can I do to help?

  • Get immediate help. If the person is in immediate danger, or seriously injured, call 999 (or 112 from a mobile).
  • Find a safe space. If an incident has just happened, try and find somewhere the person feels safe. If you are at the University you can call University Security on 0117 3311223 or go to your nearest University building and ask someone to phone Security for you.
  • Listen.  Just taking the time to listen to someone and talk about what has happened can help. These six active listening tips might help you support them.
  • Tell the person you are concerned. If they are not at immediate risk, encourage them to get support and consider helping them to make the initial contact.
  • Time to Talk. Too many people can be left in situations where they feel isolated, ashamed and worthless.  Time to Change is a movement that seeks to challenge this. They believe by joining together, we can make sure that more people are open to talking and listening about mental health problems than ever before.
  • Take care of yourself. It is important that we all look after our health and wellbeing. If you’ve heard or seen something distressing, or if you want to speak to somebody about your concerns, there are people and services available to support you. The University services information for staff and students provide further advice.

 What support is available?

Support for students

  • Report and Support. Students can use the Report and Support system to ask to speak to a member of the University’s Student Wellbeing Service for advice and support.
  • Have an informal conversation with the Student Complaints Officer (student-complaints@bristol.ac.uk, 0117 394 1820) or a Bristol SU Just Ask adviser if the person wants advice about their options.
  • University services for academic, health and wellbeing support.
  • Students can submit extenuating circumstances if their studies have been/are being affected.

 Support for staff members

 Reporting for students and staff members

  • Report and Support. Staff and students can report an incident anonymously using the University’s Report and Support system.
  • To the police. Anyone can report a crime using the non-emergency number, 101.
  • Make a formal complaint using the University’s Acceptable Behaviour Policy (for students) or to your HR Operations team (for staff)

There are two ways you can report something